Wii U

D.A.N.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
During its investor meeting today in Japan, Square Enix CEO Yoichi Wada stated the company may consider releasing a version of Dragon Quest X that's compatible with both Wii and WIi U.

As reported by Andriasang, Wada was asked about the status of Dragon Quest X for Wii now that Nintendo announced its next console. He said Square Enix is currently investigating ways to make the game work for Wii U.

It should be noted the Wii U is backwards compatible with Wii software, and that Square Enix is likely looking to add support for the console's touch controller rather than overhauling the graphics.

Source: IGN

I'd like to see Square-Enix pass on releasing Dragon Quest X on the Wii and just take full advantage of the Wii U. Either way it's great that Nintendo has seemingly secured Dragon Quest. Dragon Quest VIII was a fantastic game that stands with the best of RPGs around and IX was a great game as well.

Loving all the Wii U news, but I fear the controller might be uncomfortable to hold.

The controller seems to be the furthest thing from a problem judging by what people who have handled it have said.

I wanna know more about data transfer.

It's obvious that the Wii-U will be compatible with the Wii. So I wanna know how they're gonna transfer saved data from the Wii to the Wii-U.

On nothing but my guessing, I would say transferring save data will be left up to using an SD card. However, this could cause some problems because some games (Super Smash Bros. Brawl is one, I believe) don't allow you to move or copy the data. Hopefully Nintendo addresses it correctly.

I wanna know more about data transfer.

It's obvious that the Wii-U will be compatible with the Wii. So I wanna know how they're gonna transfer saved data from the Wii to the Wii-U.

On nothing but my guessing, I would say transferring save data will be left up to using an SD card. However, this could cause some problems because some games (Super Smash Bros. Brawl is one, I believe) don't allow you to move or copy the data. Hopefully Nintendo addresses it correctly.

Brawl will not be a problem. The fact that a 4th Super Smash Bros. is coming to the Wii-U, I'll give Brawl to my siblings when I give them my Wii. And if they use SD cards to do data transfer, more power to them. They're easy to come by.

• 2 months later...
After years of speculation by fans, and silence by Square Enix, Dragon Quest X has finally been revealed. Due in Japan in 2012, Dragon Quest X will be coming to both Wii and Wii U, and it will be an online RPG. The Wii U version is said to be graphically superior, though both versions can work together. Dragon Quest X is being developed internally by Square Enix, a first for the series.

As expected, Akira Toriyama is handling the character designs, with Sugiyama Koichi composing the game's music. DQX is described as having a huge story, spread across five continents and five different races. According to Andriasang's translation of the event, the game will feature a job class system, though no details were provided. Players will be able to create their own characters.

Square did show video of the Wii version through pre-recorded, in-game clips. Precisely how many players could play simultaneously was not mentioned, calling into question how "massive" this online RPG might be. However, footage did show groups of players fighting alongside other groups. Clearly there are still plenty of details to be revealed. On Wii, the game could loosely be likened to 2005's Dragon Quest VIII for the Playstation 2.

Dragon Quest X will be supported with post-release content. One important detail about the game - you can complete the game offline. While playing online will allow you to become an ally to another player, offline players will find those roles filled by NPCs. Players can also allow their characters to still be used as NPCs, even when they're not playing. Square is planning a beta test for the title.

Though not outright confirmed, Square did mention it is looking into possible Nintendo 3DS functionality. The idea of being able to transfer characters to the system to then SpotPass transfer to friends was specifically mentioned.

Square not only introduced Dragon Quest X for Wii and Wii U, but provided updates on a variety of other related titles. Dragon Quest Collection for Wii is due out September 15. Slime Mori Mori Dragon Quest 3 for the 3DS will arrive on November 2. Itadaki Street Wii (known as Fortune Street here in the United States) will arrive in stores on December 1. All of these release dates pertain to Japan only.

Source: IGN

There are a lot of things interesting about developers attempting MMOs on consoles, mainly because of updating policies we're used to seeing on the Xbox 360 and PS3. Dragon Quest X existing at all is great news, but the details thus far sound pretty exciting and it could potentially be a sign of good things to come with Wii U and it's online service. The regular Wii version looking like Dragon Quest VIII (which was a beautiful game) isn't bad either.

• 7 months later...

Right now the possible release date (though unconfirmed) is looking like November 18th. That's what several retailers are listing it for. What should really be noted though is that the Gamecube released on the same date and the Wii released on November 19th.

• 1 month later...

They also unveiled the Wii U Pro Controller, aka the love child of the Xbox 360 and Dreamcast controllers.

25406762.png

Nintendo seems to have their bases covered right now. It will be interesting to see how the right stick placement will pan out but as it stands right now, it's basically a 360 controller with a better d-pad.

They also unveiled the Wii U Pro Controller, aka the love child of the Xbox 360 and Dreamcast controllers.

25406762.png

Nintendo seems to have their bases covered right now. It will be interesting to see how the right stick placement will pan out but as it stands right now, it's basically a 360 controller with a better d-pad.

I hope they didn't put the right stick up there just to be different... hopefully it actually feels better.

I hope they didn't put the right stick up there just to be different... hopefully it actually feels better.

Theoretically the controller would be better for straight shooting mechanics but I have no idea how fluidly it could be if face buttons were necessary to use regularly in gameplay.

Theoretically the controller would be better for straight shooting mechanics but I have no idea how fluidly it could be if face buttons were necessary to use regularly in gameplay.

Well for games like the wwe series they'd have to switch the controls back to the analog sticks ie svr11 controls lol

Nintendo has spent most of their time in the industry being copied, so the fact this is one of, if not their most notable "steal", and that it's jacking the design of the best traditional controller on the market, I'd say it's more smart than anything. Not like how PS3 took those wacky triggers and made their old controller shit with it.

I LOVE the look of the Wii U Pro controller. Yes, it's a blatant imitation of the Xbox 360 remote, but it's still slick either way.

Hey now, Microsoft struck first by riding the Big N's motion control coattails. This is just payback. :P

I might be incorrect on this, but didn't Nintendo innovate both the d-pad and vibration functionality that everyone now tries to emulate (including Microsoft and Sony)? ;)

Hm. I like the redesign of the Wii-U controller and quite frankly, they should put the right analog stick on the Pro Controller a bit further down instead of being in the same area as the left analog stick.

Yes, it looks like a 360 controller. But how many times has Microsoft and Sony used their innovative ideas for their personal gain? Oh trust me, history speaks for itself.

The d-pad, rumble pak, motion controls, avatars...Nintendo takes the gamble and others emulate, which is good for business. Competition breeds innovation, which is always good for consumers. I am however unsure of how the Wii U hardcore controller will be used if the Wii U games are still supposed to be having motion controls and utilizing the new tablet gamepad?

The d-pad, rumble pak, motion controls, avatars...Nintendo takes the gamble and others emulate, which is good for business. Competition breeds innovation, which is always good for consumers. I am however unsure of how the Wii U hardcore controller will be used if the Wii U games are still supposed to be having motion controls and utilizing the new tablet gamepad?

The controller is primarily there for multiplatform games and...

Super Smash Bros.

Archived