Paint Tool hack tutorial

Sacrilegium

I did this tutorial today for all you folks curious about the Paint Tool hacks. Enjoy!

***NOTE*** To all the people asking if this works on the PS3:

1) The short answer: No. XPort 360 is, as the name implies, only for the XBox 360. Modio's resigning & rehashing tool is only for the XBox 360.

2) The long answer: Maybe. Anything's possible with the right people, the right resources and enough time. This exact method will not work, but something close to it might. You might be the one to figure that out, but no one else has so far. So get to work :-)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvMMlfinY7k[/media]

1) How would they ban you for this? This is something you're changing in your game save. You don't need a modded XBox to do this. You're just bypassing the in-game paint tool's limitations.

2) There are many methods, but I'm not the best person to explain them to you. (No, a USB connection won't work. The HDD has no USB port to plug in a USB cable.) Google is your friend :)

[quote name='Sacrilegium' date='07 January 2010 - 08:44 PM' timestamp='1262897084' post='6987754']
1) How would they ban you for this? This is something you're changing in your game save. You don't need a modded XBox to do this. You're just bypassing the in-game paint tool's limitations.
[/quote]
[color="#000000"][i]
Because it's illegal to mod anything on the disc or the console which is what you basicly doing. You would know that if you actually read the T&C on the box & booklet provided with the game.

Copyright.[/i][/color]

[quote name='John Thomas <@x) â„¢' date='07 January 2010 - 04:13 PM' timestamp='1262898827' post='6987850']
Because it's illegal to mod anything on the disc or the console which is what you basicly doing.
[/quote]
You modify a save every time you play the game. I don't think this applies to the TOS.

[quote name='Sacrilegium' date='07 January 2010 - 09:39 PM' timestamp='1262900355' post='6987951']
[quote name='John Thomas <@x) â„¢' date='07 January 2010 - 04:13 PM' timestamp='1262898827' post='6987850']
Because it's illegal to mod anything on the disc or the console which is what you basicly doing.
[/quote]
You modify a save every time you play the game. I don't think this applies to the TOS.
[/quote]

[color="#000000"][i]You fail to realise that saving game data via in-game & modding something on the disc it's self are two totally different things. You're basically hacking in an image which requires modding the data on the disc it's self.[/i][/color]

[quote name='Arsenal.' date='07 January 2010 - 03:07 PM' timestamp='1262898423' post='6987829']
Will i need to open my HDD at all for this hack to work and is xport360 a hardrive or?
[/quote]

[quote name='Pac.' date='07 January 2010 - 03:34 PM' timestamp='1262900068' post='6987938']
What's Xport 360?
[/quote]

Xport is a device that you plug into your computer through usb cables. The xbox hard drive can be connected to the xport like if the xport was the top of the xbox 360.

[quote name='John Thomas <@x) â„¢' date='07 January 2010 - 04:48 PM' timestamp='1262900909' post='6987991']You fail to realise that saving game data via in-game & modding something on the disc it's self are two totally different things. You're basically hacking in an image which requires modding the data on the disc it's self.
[/quote]
No it doesn't. The disc is untouched. The save data is what's changed. It's no different from building the paint image in-game and it's used the same exact way. I'm not even sure that (1) there's a way for them to detect that you've created an image this way and (2) that they'd give a damn if you did.

[quote name='Sacrilegium' date='07 January 2010 - 09:50 PM' timestamp='1262901002' post='6987996']
[quote name='John Thomas <@x) â„¢' date='07 January 2010 - 04:48 PM' timestamp='1262900909' post='6987991']You fail to realise that saving game data via in-game & modding something on the disc it's self are two totally different things. You're basically hacking in an image which requires modding the data on the disc it's self.
[/quote]
No it doesn't. The disc is untouched. The save data is what's changed. It's no different from building the paint image in-game and it's used the same exact way. I'm not even sure that (1) there's a way for them to detect that you've created an image this way and (2) that they'd give a damn if you did.
[/quote]

[color="#000000"][i]The saved data is a part of the disc as you require the disc to make the data in the first place. It's like saying that ripping one MP3 off an album of 13 is okay because it's only a faction of the disc. It's still apart of the disc as you require the disc to make the save & you require the disc to use the save to begin with.

[/i][/color]

And honestly, to anyone worrying about getting banned, I'm not answering one way or another. Everything is speculation unless it comes straight from the source.

My speculation is that they didn't anticipate this kind of a change to the game's data and probably don't have a policy on it at this point. The TOS could be interpreted either way. I don't think they would see this as a reason to enact a ban; after all, it doesn't take one cent out of their pockets. I doubt they even have the ability to detect it, at least not yet. My speculation is that this would be safe to use.

But anyone telling you "yes" or "no" definitively is just talking out of their butts. Caveat emptor.

[quote name='John Thomas <@x) â„¢' date='07 January 2010 - 05:00 PM' timestamp='1262901613' post='6988029']The saved data is a part of the disc as you require the disc to make the data in the first place. It's like saying that ripping one MP3 off an album of 13 is okay because it's only a faction of the disc. It's still apart of the disc as you require the disc to make the save & you require the disc to use the save to begin with.
[/quote]
You're really stretching. The saved data is not on the disc, therefore it's not a part of the disc.

thanks for this Sacrilegium I got one question tho, are you still able to use Xbox Live after doing this?

And @John Thomas <@x) ™: dude.......its not the game disk at all, you take the game disk out guess what...you can still see the game save in the memory option, your taking the Hard Drive, that thing above the Xbox and connecting it to your computer, the game disk has nothing to do with whats been done on the computer.

The image is converted into a format that the game can read, thats all

[quote name='Petchy' date='07 January 2010 - 05:09 PM' timestamp='1262902164' post='6988062']
Easiest method is the 'XCM 360 SATA-to-USB Adapter'. This requires no opening of the HDD or anything. :cool:
[/quote]

how does one get this :) and yea the first question again :P

[quote name='JosephCAW' date='07 January 2010 - 06:40 PM' timestamp='1262907643' post='6988379']
thanks for this Sacrilegium I got one question tho, are you still able to use Xbox Live after doing this?

[/quote]
I would assume so but I can't say for sure. I was banned way before I started using this tool :lol:

[quote name='JosephCAW' date='07 January 2010 - 11:40 PM' timestamp='1262907643' post='6988379']

And @John Thomas <@x) ™: dude.......its not the game disk at all, you take the game disk out guess what...you can still see the game save in the memory option, your taking the Hard Drive, that thing above the Xbox and connecting it to your computer, the game disk has nothing to do with whats been done on the computer.

[/quote]

[color="#000000"][i]You can't tell me that you can code in a SvR save without the use of the game itself. That's what you're basically saying to me. You need the game to make the save in the first place, hence what I'm getting at. It's modding any way you see it as you're putting something into the game that isn't supposed to be there.

Hacking & modding an Xbox or PS3 game in anyway is infringement of copyright & the legal bide you agree within when you buy the game by both you (The consumer) & the seller (Them, are, us, we) as you basically make a deal as the consumer to not in anyway violate that contract.

e.g claiming another artists music as your own without permission or an legal contract between said artist & said person.

If you phoned up Microsoft & asked them this, they'd say the same & either way, they can tell when you mod something just by you signing online. Not many of aware of this but trust me, they know.[/i][/color][color="#000000"][i]
[/i][/color]

Look for Datel Xport. This is the best thing you can use. You just put your HDD in a docking station and there you go. The SATA has to connect to the XBox itself and I heard it can overheat your system.

[quote name='John Thomas <@x) ™' date='07 January 2010 - 07:12 PM' timestamp='1262909571' post='6988482']
[quote name='JosephCAW' date='07 January 2010 - 11:40 PM' timestamp='1262907643' post='6988379']

[/quote]

[color="#000000"][i]You can't tell me that you can code in a SvR save without the use of the game itself. That's what you're basically saying to me. You need the game to make the save in the first place, hence what I'm getting at. It's modding any way you see it as you're putting something into the game that isn't supposed to be there.

Hacking & modding an Xbox or PS3 game in anyway is infringement of copyright & the legal bide you agree within when you buy the game by both you (The consumer) & the seller (Them, are, us, we) as you basically make a deal as the consumer to not in anyway violate that contract.

e.g claiming another artists music as your own without permission or an legal contract between said artist & said person.

If you phoned up Microsoft & asked them this, they'd say the same & either way, they can tell when you mod something just by you signing online. Not many of aware of this but trust me, they know.[/i][/color][color="#000000"][i]
[/i][/color]
[/quote]

You fail to realize that there ARE no saves on the disk. The only way you can make a game save is on your XBox and the save is on your Hard Drive. Try saving your game without a hard drive or a memory card and tell me what happens. By the way, adding an image onto your Hard Drive in place of a paint tool design isn't considered Modding OR Hacking. It's Patching. I'm going to add my own logos in there. Who am I infringing then? Myself? They can't sue me for adding my OWN logo into a game that I bought. I don't play online anyway.

[quote name='John Thomas <@x) â„¢' date='08 January 2010 - 12:12 AM' timestamp='1262909571' post='6988482']

And @John Thomas <@x) â„¢: dude.......its not the game disk at all, you take the game disk out guess what...you can still see the game save in the memory option, your taking the Hard Drive, that thing above the Xbox and connecting it to your computer, the game disk has nothing to do with whats been done on the computer.

[/quote]

[/i][/color]
[/quote]

SERIOUSLY STFU WITH THIS ARGUMENT . ITS SIMPLE IF YOU DONT HAVE A HDD OR MEMORY CARD YOU CANTS SAVE ANY GAME PROGRESS OR DESINGS OR CAWS . the disc is not written to what so ever so its not doing one thing at all to it . so relax n get over it man seriously quit buggin out !

Archived