I finally played the game

YKRG

I enjoy it. The gameplay is pretty different but definately fun. The game is very shallow though however. Matches are mostly 3-4 minutes with the same moves and punches being thrown in left and right. The lack of modes in the game also kill it.

Here is a quick fix of how I would have made the game better.

More Classic Wrestlers. Get rid of the Smackdown 2009 roster. I actually like being able to play as the older guys who I have never played as in a video gamer or I haven't used in years. 80's/90's finishing moves that weren't used by the roster. Torture Rack, Powerbomb, Flying Elbow, Razors Edge, etc.

The 3 re modes and Legend bs need to go. Waste of space and time. They should have added a survivor series mode and kept the game simple like WCW/NWO World Tour and Revenge. Not the gameplay but the modes.

Reg was definately needed.

[quote name='YKRG' post='6638551' date='Sep 20 2009, 05:50 AM']More Classic Wrestlers. Get rid of the Smackdown 2009 roster. I actually like being able to play as the older guys who I have never played as in a video gamer or I haven't used in years. 80's/90's finishing moves that weren't used by the roster. Torture Rack, Powerbomb, Flying Elbow, Razors Edge, etc.[/quote]

cory ledesma has said that every legend they could agree to a contract with appeared in the game. foley and savage were taken out by mcmahon. we were supposed to get earthquake, bushwackers, vader, and doink as DLC according to people on the smackdown boards but because the sales of the game were so low they released that DLC as smackdown vs raw 2009 legends.

[quote name='nystyle' post='6639448' date='Sep 20 2009, 01:59 PM'][quote name='YKRG' post='6638551' date='Sep 20 2009, 05:50 AM']More Classic Wrestlers. Get rid of the Smackdown 2009 roster. I actually like being able to play as the older guys who I have never played as in a video gamer or I haven't used in years. 80's/90's finishing moves that weren't used by the roster. Torture Rack, Powerbomb, Flying Elbow, Razors Edge, etc.[/quote]

cory ledesma has said that every legend they could agree to a contract with appeared in the game. foley and savage were taken out by mcmahon. we were supposed to get earthquake, bushwackers, vader, and doink as DLC according to people on the smackdown boards but because the sales of the game were so low they released that DLC as smackdown vs raw 2009 legends.
[/quote]

Sales were low because they treated the game like a budget title and alienated the Smackdown fanbase. It's their own fault. The game is fun but very very shallow. The two main modes in the game suck and take up far too much space. A career mode with feuds from the 80'/90's would have been a million times better. They could have kept things simple. A Major feud back then played out over a year or two and the wrestlers only interacted maybe 10 times. Here is the Hogan career mode. You defeat some fat slug while the Ultimate Warrior is beating everybody on the roster. The two have a tag team match together and then interact with eachother at the Royal Rumble and do the famous criss cross. A Match is set up for WrestleMania and you can either change history by having Hulk win or keep the history the way it was with the Warrior taking over.

Here is another storyline they could have used in the game with multiple branches. The WrestleMania 4 storyline branch. If you are playing as the Million Dollar Man. You try to buy off Andre to beat Hogan for the title and hand it off to you. The Title gets vacated and you have the 16 main tournament at WrestleMania 4. HOW HARD WOUDL THAT HAVE BEEN? They could have put in a career mode that had 5-10 matches per year using the feuds from back in the day.

The Roster import is another waste of space. If I wanted to play as Cena/Orton, I would go play Smackdown. I rather have seen them put in Doink the Clown, Tatanka, Akeem, Marty Jannety, Hercules, etc. They half assed the CAL mode. That right there stopped me from buying the game. Not putting in other peoples finishing moves from the 80's/90's was criminal. If they wanted to put in the current top stars leave it at 10 or so. Cena, Orton, etc. Nobody was buying this game so they could play as Festus, Wang, Jesse, etc.

• 4 weeks later...
For everything they got right about this game, they got about 60 things wrong.

They need to stop making werid decisions like only putting half of Macho Man's attire in CAL, not giving the Undertaker his coat or putting alternate outfits in CAL that are useless because you can't give them to the in-game wrestlers and even if you create them you can't give them the right call names.

Just give as a LOWM2 using the SvR2010 game engine, with legend specific call names, CAL options, arenas and moves.

it's not hard to check a review before you buy a game, so most people do. there are a few exceptions, people are going to buy the new madden no matter what. but for a game like this, i think a lot of people read the reviews, saw that it was getting mediocre scores, and decided to pass. you know there is a huge market for a game like this. even the crappy "showdown, legends of wrestling" sold pretty well because of the roster. and if you look the caw boards for any svr game, it's full of old school wrestler formulas. i think if they actually made a good legends game, it would probably outsell the svr games. the two biggest times, ratings wise, for wrestling were from about '85 with the "rock 'n wrestling" era through 1999 with the monday night wars.

Archived