Adding Custom Music and Video for HCTP

Teeceezy

I know there have been a lot of guides for inserting music into Here Comes
The Pain, but, as I found out there are not a lot of guides to adding trons to the
game. As such I have made this guide to help others add custom music and titantrons.

Requirements

First of all you will NEED all of the following software:

AFS Explorer- To import and export files from AFS archives

ADX Player- To determine the length of music

A music editor (I personally use Acid Pro) - To edit the audio to the right length
and export as a WAV audio file

ADXENCD- To encode WAV audio files to ADX

DAEMON Tools- To mount a virtual copy of your image for file extraction and testing

TMPG Encoder- To encode M1V files with the right settings

SFDMUX (an application based on DC Movie Creator) - To create SFD video files from

M1V video (and SFA audio)

An image creator/rebuilder (I personally use UltraISO) - To create image of HCTP,
and to reinsert modified files into image

DVD Burning Software of some variety (UltraISO or Nero personally)

You will also NEED the following hardware:

A WWE Smackdown Here Comes The Pain DVD

A modchipped/swap disc/exploited PS2

A Windows computer

A DVD burn capable drive

A blank or re-writable DVD

Additionally you may want this software:

DKZ Studio- Another AFS archiver

ADX Converter- An application that converts between ADX and SFA files. SFA's are
used for creating SFD files with sound

Cube Media Player- For converting ADX audio to WAV audio

PCSX2- To test the rebuilt image

Video editing software (such as Vegas Pro)- To edit and customize videos for the game

You can find some of these at the following links:

ADX Converter: [url="http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2BV69GXD"]http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2BV69GXD[/url]

ADX Player [url="http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UQVUFXAU"]http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UQVUFXAU[/url]

ADXENCD: [url="http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1O0XINY2"]http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1O0XINY2[/url]

AFS Explorer: [url="http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S96ER9UP"]http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S96ER9UP[/url]

DkZ Studio: [url="http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6CQBP66O"]http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6CQBP66O[/url]

PCSX2: [url="http://www.megaupload.com/?d=46URGV66"]http://www.megaupload.com/?d=46URGV66[/url]

SFDMUX: [url="http://www.megaupload.com/?d=33EJHII4"]http://www.megaupload.com/?d=33EJHII4[/url]

Modifying the game

Step 1: Creating Disc Image

The first thing that you need to do once you have all the necessary hardware and
software is insert your WWE Smackdown Here Comes The Pain DVD into your computer’s
DVD drive. Now once inserted open your image creating software. I would personally
recommend UltraISO. However Nero, Alcohol 120%, DVD Decrypter, MagicISO and many
other programs are also capable of this. Create the image and burn to your hard drive.
You now have the image to work with.

Step 2: Extracting archives

Depending on whether your extracting audio, video, or both you will need to extract
archives from your image of the HCTP disc. You can mount the image with a program such
as Daemon Tools, or open the image in image editing software such as UltraISO or
MagicISO. The music is contained in the BGM directory of the image, while the video
is contained in the MOVIE directory. The files are kept in archives with
the extension .AFS. The theme music for the game is contained in the BGM002.afs,
BGM003.afs and BGM004.afs files. The video for entrance trons are located in the
PMV000.afs, PMV001.afs and PMV002.afs files. I would recommend extracting the archives
to your hard disk for easy access, as it makes life a lot easier. Also when editing
the archives always keep an original unedited copy of your archives. If you have made
successful edits of the archives that work in the game, always keep revised copies of
these also, as you won’t want to have to start editing again.

Step 3A: Creating themes for game and reinserting them into AFS archives

The themes used in the game are loaded from ADX audio files. This file format was
made by CRI Middleware. It is derived from ADPCM. To create audio for the game it is
necessary to reinsert the files in ADX format.

When placing tracks in the game you will need to find the length of the song you are
replacing. To find out what songs are on the game and what their filenames are, you
can download this document

[url="http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UE0RJZ7V"]http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UE0RJZ7V[/url]

It contains a list of all themes in the game, as well as their filenames and which
archive they are stored in. It also contains the same information for the video files
that are used in the game.

Once you have decided which files you wish to replace extract them from their AFS
archives using AFS Explorer. Open AFS Explorer then select the archive you wish to
extract from. Once open find the file you wish to extract. Right click the file and
select extract. Then select a location to extract it to. Once you have done this open
ADX Player and on the bottom left hand corner of the player you will see an
information box. This should give you the information on the number of samples,
duration and sampling frequency of your files as well as whether it is Stereo or
Monaural. For HCTP ADX files the sampling frequency should ALWAYS be 48,000 and should
always be in Stereo. In this box take note of the time of your file, as you will need
the replacement song to be the same length.

Once you know the length of the song you wish to replace open the song you wish to
replace it with in a suitable audio editing program. I would recommend ACID Pro
personally, but any program which can trim audio files and export in 48,000Hz WAV
format should be sufficient. Bear in mind that if the audio is not exported as
48,000Hz WAV file in stereo it WILL NOT work in the game. Now in the audio editor
trim the song to the length of the original song in the game which you noted earlier.
Once you have trimmed the file save with the settings mentioned before and all should
be fine.

Once you have done this you will need to place the WAV file in the directory your
command prompt runs from. If you do not know the directory simply press the start
button, go to ‘Run’, type in cmd and press OK. The last thing which should show up on
the command pane is the directory which on most computers is “C:/”. Once you have
placed the WAV file in this directory you will also need to place the ADXENCD
application in the directory. Once you have done this open the command prompt you
opened before and type in

ADXENCD.exe <insertsongname>.wav

So if your song name was smackdown.wav you would type in

ADXENCD.exe smackdown.wav

The application will now create an ADX file of the same name in the directory.

Once this has been completed open the archive the original song is located in with
AFS Explorer. Find the filename of the song you are replacing and once you have found
it right click and select ‘Import’. Then find the ADX file you created with ADXENCD
and select it. The file is now in the archive successfully. Now click on the ‘File’
menu and select ‘Update’. Now overwrite the COPY of the original archive. DO NOT
SAVE OVER THE ORGINAL ARCHIVE.

You may also get a dialog box that says ‘There is no room for the file! You must use
the rebuild function to reserve more space’ when you attempt to import your ADX
file. You will be asked if you want to set a new reserved space for the file. Select
‘Yes’. If you get an additional dialog box that says ‘Couldn’t insert file. Check AFS
file is not write-protected and that there is enough reserved space for the file.’
click Ok. Now go to the ‘Advanced’ menu and select ‘Modify Reserved Space’ You should
see a set of numbers. Somewhere there will be numbers that are red, and next to them
numbers that are green. If you see this select the ‘Regenerate AFS!’ option which is
located in the bottom right hand corner of the window. Then choose a location to save
the file. I recommend saving in a different location to the original file, and naming
it with the same filename i.e. if the archive was ‘BGM003.afs’ I would choose a
different folder and save as ‘BGM003.afs’. Make sure you save the file with the AFS
file extension as the application will not do so automatically. Once the new archive
has been saved you will get a dialog box saying ‘AFS created!’ Press Ok. Now open this
new archive. Once open find the file you are going to replace and import the file again.
You should have no problem this time. Now select the ‘File’ menu and ‘Update’. Save the
new archive. You can repeat this process for all songs you wish to import.

Advanced Note: If you wish to replace the background menu and gameplay music or the PPV
background music from Season you can find these ADX songs in the BGM000.afs and
BGM001.afs archives (The menu/gameplay music is in the BGM001.afs archive and the
Season music is in the BGM000.afs archive as well as outros for the menu/gameplay
music). All you need to do is follow the same steps as above for the entrance music,
although you may not necessarily need the music to be the same length as the ones in
these archives.

Step 3B: Creating videos for the game and reinserting them into AFS archives

The videos presented in WWE HCTP are encoded in the Sofdec video format. The file
extension for these files is .sfd. Sofdec video is M1V video encoded with CRI
Middleware technology. These videos can have no audio, or audio encoded in the ADX
format. To create custom videos for HCTP you will need to be able to encode in the
SFD format.

The ‘File Address List’ located at the link listed in the last step has the file
names and archive locations for the videos in WWE HCTP. Once you have selected the
video you wish to replace note its filename.

You do not necessarily need to customize every video, but you will need to reencode
it at least twice.

If you wish to edit and create custom video files that is fine, but I will not
explain how to do so in this guide. All I will state is if doing so ensure you
render the video in an acceptable format for TMPG Encoder. These include AVI, MP4,
and MPG video. You may need to convert the file with a video converter such as
Total Video Converter or SUPER. Also avoid ruining the quality of the video.
I recommend encoding at a bitrate of at least 2500kbps, whatever framerate the
video originally was, and also the original dimensions. Do not downscale yet.

Once you have the video file ready in an appropriate format open it with TMPG Encoder.
Once open you should see a box in the bottom right hand side of the window called
Settings. Select it. Now you must encode the video with these settings. The stream
type must be MPEG-1 video. The size need to be 256x256 pixels. The aspect ratio
needs to be 1:1 VGA. The frame rate will depend on your region. If you are in NTSC
territory it needs to be 29.97fps. If you are in PAL territory select 25fps. The
bitrate MUST BE a Constant Bit Rate of 1500kbps. For the motion search precision
it is up to you, however I recommend selecting Highest Quality. Once you have done
this go to the Advanced tab and ensure the Video Arrange method is Fullscreen.
Then select clip frame from the checkboxes below and make sure all sides (Top,
Bottom, Left and Right) are set to 0. Then select Ok and Ok again. Now specify the
location where you wish to save the file. I recommend saving in your command prompt
directory used earlier. Make sure your video has NO audio source so that when you
save the file it is in M1V format. Once all settings are set select Start. Once your
file is finished encoding place it in the command prompt directory if you have not
already. Now place the SFDMUX zip file in the command prompt directory and extract
it. Then open the command prompt window and type in (after the command directory)

SFDMUX -V=<insertfilename>.m1v -S=<insertfilename>.sfd

Where <insertfilename> is the name of your file obviously, i.e.

SFDMUX -V=smackdown.m1v -S=smackdown.sfd

After the file is finished encoding open the archive the original video you are
replacing is located in with AFS Explorer. Find the file you are replacing and select
import. Then find your newly encoded SFD file and select it. You most likely will be
confronted with a dialog box which says ‘There is no room for the file! You must use
the rebuild function to reserve more space’. Select yes when prompted the first time.
If you are asked another question about rearranging the reserved space ALWAYS
SELECT NO. It just makes life easier. Now go to the ‘Advanced’ menu and select
‘Modify reserved space’. Find the file you wish to insert. There should be a set of
red numbers and a set of green numbers to the right of it. If there is then select
‘Regenerate AFS!’ Then save the AFS archive in a new location with the AFS file
extension. Once the AFS has been rebuilt close the dialog box and open the new
archive from the file menu. Now import the replacement video into the archive and
go to the ‘Advanced’ menu and select ‘Modify reserved space’. Now DO NOT modify the
reserved space and select ‘Regenerate AFS!’ Once this is complete you can add more
videos. If you do not wish to then you are ready to reinsert the archive or archives
into the game.

Advanced Note: If you wish to edit the opening logo, legal, intro and title screens
they can be found in the LOGOS_P.afs archive. They need to be encoded with different
settings to the other videos. Extract the ones you wish to replace from their AFS
archive and save them to your hard drive. Now open them with TMPG Encoder. They should
open. If they do not you either have an older version or a non premium version. These
will be needed to open SFD files. When the video is open its encoding settings will
be displayed down the bottom. It could state for example MPEG-1 640x512 29.97fps CBR
1500kbps. These are the settings you will need to render your M1V video to.

Additionally to add audio to the file you will need to encode the audio to ADX (see step 3A), and then convert to SFA with ADX Converter. To convert the ADX file open ADX Converter. Now you will see a box and a directory address which should say ‘C:\Program Files\selfboot\work’. Click the 3 dot box next to it and then select the directory your ADX files are contained in. Make sure you untick the ‘Delete ADX’ box. Then press convert and wait for the program to work. Once it has finished place the converted SFA file in your command prompt directory as well as you reencoded M1V video file. Open your command prompt and type in

SFDMUX -V=<insertfilename>.m1v -A=<insertfilename>.sfa -S=<insertfilename>.sfd

Where insert filename is the file name of your M1V and SFA files, i.e.

SFDMUX -V=smackdown.m1v -A=smackdown.sfa -S=smackdown.sfd

Once you have done this import the file into the LOGOS_P.afs archive using the
directions stated earlier for videos. If you wish to replace the credits then you
simply need to reencode the sfd file as the credits are not in the archive but simply
in the MOVIES folder as a sfd file,

Step 4: Reinserting files into image

Now you will need to reinsert the edited files into your WWE HCTP image.

I EXTREMELY RECOMMEND using UltraISO to do this, as it is the only application I have
had success with, and I’ve tried a few. Open your image using UltraISO. You should
have 10 folder and 7 files on the screen. Depending on whether you are reinserting
video or audio archives select MOVIE or BGM respectively. Once in the folder find your
edited archives on the bottom section which should be on ‘C:\Program Files\UltraISO’.
Go to the directory and drag the archive file from the bottom pane to the top. Make
sure that your archive REPLACES the one it is supposed to. If it doesn’t have the right
name delete the original from the pane and rename the new archive to the deleted
archive’s name. Once you have added all archives (or files if you have edited the
credits video), go to ‘File’ and click ‘Save As…’. Save the new image with a new
filename. DO NOT OVERWRITE THE IMAGE YOU OPENED. Now wait for the image to save.
Once completed close UltraISO.

Step 5A: Burning Image to Disc

If you don’t have a lot of DVD’s or you don’t wish to waste them skip to Step 5B
first! You are warned.

Now open the newly created image in your chosen burning software. I recommend
selecting a burning speed of 4x, but the choice is yours. I will state that burning
over 4x is stupid and if you make a coaster or a game that loads extremely slow it
serves you right. Once you have set all settings insert the DVD you are burning to.
Again I recommend using high quality media. Personally I use Sony but Verbatim is
good as well. Depending on your PS2 setup will depend what king of media you should
use. Personally I think the most compatible standard is DVD-R, but you will need to
check the compatibility of your modchip, swap disc app, or memory card exploiter.
Once you have burnt the game

Step 5B: Testing the disc with PCSX2

If you want to check if everything has worked then you can run the new image in PCSX2.
You will need a CD/DVD Iso plugin for PCSX2 to run the image unless you mount the image
to a virtual drive with an application such as DAEMON Tools, and then use a normal
CD/DVD plugin set to your virtual drive. I will not be able to help with PCSX2 settings
or configuration so I recommend looking on the net for help with configuring it.
However once all settings and plugins are working run the game. If you have not edited
any of the opening movies then you should get to the menu with no problem. If you have
edited these movies and the game freezes you most likely have not encoded the SFD’s
with the right audio settings. If the screens are discolored and pixilated then you
also have a problem with the encoding of the M1V video. You will need to go back and
check that you encoded the video properly, and inserted it into the archive with AFS
Explorer properly. Now you can check your new audio and/or video in a Exhibition match
(you must select a match with entrances, and entrances must be on) or in Create-A-Moveset
by going to any superstar’s entrance menu. If the video works all is fine for now. If it
does not it is most likely the encoding settings of the M1V, especially if the game
freezes saying ‘Now Loading’ on the video pane. You must further test the video in an
actual match. If during the entrance you see discolored and/or pixelated trons in the
arena something may be wrong with the encoding. I had this problem but I risked a DVD
and burnt it anyway and it worked fine. If you get this far and are willing to risk it
then that is your choice but it may not give the same results as mine.
If the audio does not work then it is likely the encoding settings or the way you
inserted the audio into the archive. If audio and/or video are working then you have
successfully modded the game. Make sure to keep images of successful mods if you create
further mods in the future…

Archived