The D's CAW School.

The D

[center][img]http://i39.tinypic.com/2v8rebk.png[/img][/center]

I sent this as a response to someone in a PM, but I thought I'd share it with you as some of you may find it helpful. If it isn't then that's fine, but I thought I'd post it anyway.

[quote]Thanks for the kind words. There's no trick really. I spend time on my CAWs, but I'm also very much a perfectionist in mainly everything I do, so I won't stop until I get it as good as I possibly can. I study ref' pic's a lot whilst making and I feel that I have a good eye for seeing detail. Firstly think what features define their face and go from there. In the case of Matt Hardy..

- Turned up nose.

- Large cheek size, round face.

- Low jaw height.

- Eyes are quite close together

- Chinstrap facial hair.

- Thick eyebrows.

Those are the basics. Get the basics down (that being the morph and a suitable face skin) and then build on that.

When doing the face skin detailing, don't look for a face skin that will do it all for you. Look for a skin that has no bad parts to it and that you are able to build upon.

There's not much else to it. Just take your time. The more you make and the more feedback you get, the better you'll become. Making other people's CAWs helps sometimes as you can see how they've done things. Ultimately, it's about knowing the CAW mode. Knowing how to get a certain look with a certain make up etc, and that's just down to expirience. I've been doing it for a good few years now, and I usually make the same people each year, so I know roughly how to go about it. Then you just adapt your ideas to the new CAW system.

I hope that's helped.[/quote]

[b]Now, if anyone has any questions, please post them in here and I'll try and help as many of you as I can. I don't have the time to look at inidividual CAWs and give suggestions, so keep posting them on the board and I'll help when I can, but if anyone has any general questions about CAW making then please go right ahead.[/b]

If no-one wants my help either then that's cool, I don't wanna' seem like I think I'm the best and the only one who can help, but I thought I'd offer my services anyway.

Guest Crescent
Now you better make a request shop D.. [img]http://i40.tinypic.com/15phpqt.jpg[/img]

jk, Thanks for these D, might be handy for some

thnx for the tip D can yu tell me wats wrong with my orton and evan

Orton
[url="http://i43.tinypic.com/n312c8.jpg"]http://i43.tinypic.com/n312c8.jpg[/url]
Bourne
[url="http://i43.tinypic.com/10pdi1d.jpg"]http://i43.tinypic.com/10pdi1d.jpg[/url]

plz help ;)

T.I

[quote name='The D' post='6150922' date='Jun 6 2009, 02:07 PM']I don't have the time to look at inidividual CAWs and give suggestions, so keep posting them on the board and I'll help when I can, but if anyone has any general questions about CAW making then please go right ahead.[/quote]

[quote name='double_G' post='6151040' date='Jun 6 2009, 04:00 PM'][b]Do basic face model affect the CAW's face?
All of my CAW used basic face model 1.[/b]
When doing face, did you start by choosing the face skin after all the morphing is done or before morphing the face?[/quote]

I'll catch this one. ;)

In 08 it did greatly.. some people were literally impossible to do unless you had the right basic face for them. But in 09 there's no-where near the difference in outcome of basic face choice, so it doesn't matter which you choose, really.

[quote name='Mustacio' post='6151284' date='Jun 6 2009, 11:58 AM'][quote name='double_G' post='6151040' date='Jun 6 2009, 04:00 PM'][b]Do basic face model affect the CAW's face?
All of my CAW used basic face model 1.[/b]
When doing face, did you start by choosing the face skin after all the morphing is done or before morphing the face?[/quote]

I'll catch this one. ;)

In 08 it did greatly.. some people were literally impossible to do unless you had the right basic face for them. But in 09 there's no-where near the difference in outcome of basic face choice, so it doesn't matter which you choose, really.
[/quote]

The exception of course being FaceTemplate 5 this year.

I normally start off with all the basic stuff that's easily visable like you've already said. Normally the it's the nose and eyes that do me though cause when you get one part of it right and move on to the next part it makes the bit you just had right change a little and that's why it's impossible to literally perfect anyone in caw mode. Some caws that are posted on this site though are actually so close to being perfect. Most of your caws are D and it's because of the amount of time you spend on your caws. Some people can knock up an ok caw in 10 minutes, post it here and people say it's good when clearly it could be much better with more effort gone into. The amount of effort you put into making your caws is ammence, plus there's all the typing that you've done for us so far aswell which takes just as much effort especially when you have 64 layers to type up.

Thanks for posting this anyway D. It will help alot of people out when it comes to them making caws of their own.

[quote]i know what you mean. i make my own rhyno caw every year and i think he looks great. i would put him up on here but i dont have a cap card or any of that stuff.[/quote]
Post the formula for it and I'll take a few pics for ya as long as it's for 360 or PS3.

Might not work for everyone, but when it comes to doing skin detailing, I usually paste a ref into paint and invert the colors. It helps show distinct features on a person's skin. Might not help everyone, but I always benefit from this.

:cool:

Thx for this D. Maybe now i could make Godly Beast Caws lol. prob not. I can't create a good CAW if my life depended on it. anyway thx. This could really help people who have potential in CAW making for when a CAW Making Legend like yourself is gone (hopefully not too soon)

[quote name='chips1001' post='6152958' date='Jun 6 2009, 07:43 PM']Thanks for this, this is better school then the shitty 8:45 - 3:00 boring school lol[/quote]
you think thats bad? when i went (i'm on summer break right now; my last day was friday.) it was from 6:45 - 2:15

[quote name='double_G' post='6151040' date='Jun 6 2009, 03:00 PM']Do basic face model affect the CAW's face?[/quote]

Each year there are 3 templates which differ from each other. The developers put them in to use depending on which ethnicity your creation is.

The Caucastian templates:
Face Type 1
Face Type 2
Face Type 3
Face Type 4
Face Type 11
Face Type 12

African Caribbean templates:
Face Type 5
Face Type 6
Face Type 7

Asian templates:
Face Type 8
Face Type 9
Face Type 10

The difference between these morphs are in the jaw shaping, eyes and nose mainly. If you default the morphing, I think it defaults to Face Type 1 morphing, so only default each morph individually, or simply work from the morph already done. When deciding on the face template, look at the shape of the face and the shape of the nose mainly. The eyes can also be a factor. I advice that you mess around tweaking and morphing on each face to get an idea of what each face does.

[quote name='double_G' post='6151040' date='Jun 6 2009, 03:00 PM']When doing face, did you start by choosing the face skin after all the morphing is done or before morphing the face?[/quote]

I chose a suitable skin before I try the morphing, but generally I change it before the CAW is done. Just select a skin that you can work with.

[quote name='God's LaSt Giftâ„¢' post='6151064' date='Jun 6 2009, 03:15 PM']when i am creating someone for some reason i always work on the nose first, also what tips would you have for japanse creations[/quote]

Japanese creations are much the same as any. Just remember to try and capture the eyes as well as you can and the face shaping.

Work on whatever you want to first. The nose is one of the main features. I usually briefly morph and then go back and morph some more. Then I begin to detail.

[quote name='mr.mcmoney' post='6151508' date='Jun 6 2009, 06:22 PM']how do people get the lips colored right and the nose perfect do you have to use designs[/quote]

To get the nose right, sometimes you have to use designs, but not all the time. If the nose is lighter up the middle then place a design 103 vertically up the nose to create that look. For the lips, just alter the colours lightly.

[quote name='Twitch.' post='6153028' date='Jun 7 2009, 02:07 AM']Might not work for everyone, but when it comes to doing skin detailing, I usually paste a ref into paint and invert the colors. It helps show distinct features on a person's skin. Might not help everyone, but I always benefit from this.[/quote]

Good idea. I'll give it a try later.

[quote name='One Man Dynasty' post='6153304' date='Jun 7 2009, 03:35 AM']Thx for this D. Maybe now i could make Godly Beast Caws lol. prob not. I can't create a good CAW if my life depended on it. anyway thx. This could really help people who have potential in CAW making for when a CAW Making Legend like yourself is gone (hopefully not too soon)[/quote]

There is no trick to creating 'good' CAWs, just a good eye for detail which you will get with practise and then putting in time.

[quote name='GlitchMaddnes' post='6153997' date='Jun 7 2009, 08:05 AM']Nice advice D . I will use it when needed. And is this true. All face morphing's always need face paint. Like the face paint that covers the face and the nose design that covers the nose?.[/quote]

I use face paint for all of my CAWs. It's a trick that Zurick showed me, and I'm very glad he did. I find the face paints too heavily detailed this year, so the face paint softens them.

Hey D,when I use skin tone 7, 11 or 12, I put make up over the eyelids,that zone looks weird and lighter, so the make up is useless on there, any help for that or it only happens to me? (Will post pic later.)

Archived