Official Football Thread 2008/2009

.Nëro

Hey,

Here is the Official Football Thread for the Season 2008/2009 let me get the ball rolling.

Aaron Ramsey Signs to Arsenal

Arsenal is delighted to announce that Wales Under-21 international Aaron Ramsey has today signed for the Gunners from Championship side Cardiff City on a long-term contract for an undisclosed fee.

Although still only 17, Aaron has already represented his country at Under-21 level and became the youngest player ever to represent Wales at this level in August 2007, in a 4-3 victory over Sweden Under-21s. He was also recently called up to the full Welsh squad for their friendly international matches in Iceland and Holland, but was an unused substitute on both occasions.

Young midfielder Ramsey progressed through the youth ranks at Cardiff City and also became the youngest ever player to represent the Bluebirds, coming on as a substitute in the League match against Hull City on April 28, 2007, at just 16 years 124 days, breaking the previous record set by John Toshack.

Since making his debut for Cardiff City in the 2006/07 season, Ramsey went on to make a total of 22 appearances for the Welsh side, including a substitute appearance in last season’s FA Cup Final against Portsmouth at Wembley Stadium.

Ramsey, born in Caerphilly on Boxing Day 1990, has already had a good experience of Emirates Stadium. Aaron actually scored Cardiff City’s first goal in the FA Youth Cup Quarter-Final in 2007, in a match which was watched by 11,610 supporters, with Arsenal eventually coming out 3-2 winners.

Manager Arsène Wenger said: “We’re delighted to have signed Aaron Ramsey. He is a young player who has shown huge potential with his performances for both Cardiff City and Wales at under-17 and Under-21 levels. He is still only 17, but has already shown that he is a very intelligent and mature player with great quality. Although he mainly plays in midfield, Aaron is a versatile player and can also play across the defence. We are all looking forward to welcoming Aaron to the Club for our pre-season preparations.”

Aaron Ramsey said: “I’m so happy to have signed for Arsenal. I am joining one of the biggest clubs in the world and can’t wait to meet my new team mates. I recently met with Arsène Wenger and he was a big factor in my decision to join Arsenal. He talked to me for a long time about the Club and the plans for the future, which really excites me. Arsenal is a Club which always gives young players an opportunity at the highest level of the game and I am going to work my hardest to be part of future successes here.

“It was a really difficult decision to leave Cardiff City, they are my local club with great supporters and I would just like thank everyone at Cardiff City for their support and help in my early career. I will still look out for their results and there will always be a place in my heart for the Bluebirds.”
Aaron will join up with his new team mates at Arsenal for pre-season training in early July.

- Arsenal.com

[quote name='**TalkLoud**' post='4445918' date='Jun 15 2008, 09:29 PM']TBH I don't think Liverpool will win the league anytime soon. They don't have the consistency to win game after game.[/quote]
Well actually we were close than people thought. Draws at home against Wigan, Birmingham and Chelsea (should have been a win but of course Malouda dived and earned the pen. which Lampard scored) and an away loss to Reading cost us hugely, if we would have won those games we would have been champions.

Worth remembering aswell that we lost less games than Manchester United did.

We got Sunderland (A) on the first day. :D

Opening weekend fixtures - Saturday, 16 August
Arsenal v West Brom
Aston Villa v Man City
Bolton v Stoke
Chelsea v Portsmouth
Everton v Blackburn
Hull v Fulham
Man Utd v Newcastle
Middlesbrough v Tottenham
Sunderland v Liverpool
West Ham v Wigan

I'm lovin it.

Manchester United vs Newcastle on the opening day. My Brother is a Newcastle fan so it will be good to laugh at his ass when they get beat :lol:.

Though he does remind me alot of a certain 5-0 game from 1996.

[quote name='Herb.' post='4448703' date='Jun 16 2008, 08:59 AM'][quote name='**TalkLoud**' post='4445918' date='Jun 15 2008, 09:29 PM']TBH I don't think Liverpool will win the league anytime soon. They don't have the consistency to win game after game.[/quote]
Well actually we were close than people thought. Draws at home against Wigan, Birmingham and Chelsea (should have been a win but of course Malouda dived and earned the pen. which Lampard scored) and an away loss to Reading cost us hugely, if we would have won those games we would have been champions.

[b]Worth remembering aswell that we lost less games than Manchester United did.[/b]

We got Sunderland (A) on the first day. :D

Opening weekend fixtures - Saturday, 16 August
Arsenal v West Brom
Aston Villa v Man City
Bolton v Stoke
Chelsea v Portsmouth
Everton v Blackburn
Hull v Fulham
Man Utd v Newcastle
Middlesbrough v Tottenham
Sunderland v Liverpool
West Ham v Wigan
[/quote]

Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea lost less games than us, it's just that we had the consistency to win games instead of drawing them.

Man Utd's games against Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool are all away in the first half of the season, Which means we'll have the edge on all of them in the second half of the season.

But Man U have Chelsea away and then Liverpool away the next game.

Paul Ince is the new Blackburn manager. Should be interesting with him playing former clubs Manchester United & Liverpool.

Plus he's the first black manager in the premier league according to Sky Sports News.

Archived