Alright, convince me to want this game.

Kobra

I remember playing the GBA version of Fire Pro and finding it very difficult and rather boring. But now, I'm hearing this game is the greatest thing on the face of this planet, and I feel that this game will be No Mercy/ HCTP verison 2 in that it will be extremely overrated.

So, what's so good about this game? I've watched some videos on Youtube and it looks like a slow Gameboy game for the PS2.

If you don't "get" the game, you aren't going to be convinced, so what's the point?

It's a 2D wrestler with a caw mode and cool-ass matches. It has timing-based controls instead of button bashing crap (like most 2D wrestlers).

That's really about it. It's the not the best wrestling game in the world, but it's a s**tload better than the vast majority out there. And it's about the only game where you're going to get electrified barbed wire exploding steel cage matches.

And it doesn't look that bad. Jesus. You're watching a YouTube video; look for some screenshots, man. C'mon. If Fire Pro Wrestling D on the Dreamcast looked awesome (which it did), I'm sure the PS2 Fire Pro will likely look at least as good, if not better.

^^^ exactly... creating your own rings, any & every wrestler you can think of, plus you can edit the wrestlers that are already in the game, not to mentioned the different types af matches that Chupacabra already said... get the game, for $20 bucks, you won't get a better NEW game, EVER!!!!

[quote]If you don't "get" the game, you aren't going to be convinced, so what's the point?[/quote]

I was asking for the pros and cons of the game.

How's the grappling system in the game? The game looks very slow-paced, and I don't know if I'll like that. I've put the game on my XMas list, though.

it's a timing base grappling system, from what everyone has been saying... which sound pretty cool to me(no button mashing)... as far as cons, I can't think of any. Like I have stated before, I downloaded a emulator(SNES) a couple of years ago just to play the Japanese version of the Fire Pro series

FPR is for most practical purposes a "puro-style" game. It represents how wrestling is portrayed pretty much everywhere else in the world aside from the US, and it's been that way since it came out all the way in 1989. See over in say Japan it's not uncommon to have matches that go for 30-60 minutes, and I'm not talking main event matches either. There's also no limitations to the creativity and often time the brutality of combat in the ring compared to here in NA. All those elements are conveyed in FPR as they were in the GBA games released over here, and if you're not into that it'll be hard to get into this game. I consider it to be "easy to learn but hard to master", and isn't that what gaming is all about-the challenge? I don't know, maybe I'm just too old fashioned, lol.

You need to play with an open mind as the system of gameplay is not difficult or impossible, it's different-that's all. Like learning a new computer program or skateboard trick or whatever you need to work at it to get good. Anyone who think their going to get this and rule mercilessly will be sorely disappointed and get their asses kicked more often than not. Nobody can convince you to get it, that's all on you. All I can say is that if you're of open mind and will to learned a new style of wrestling gameplay that actually requires some STRATEGY get this game. It's gonna be on the cheap anyway. Or...you can stick with the button mashing and analog stick play of SVR if that's your cup of tea.

theres a english patch out there go check it out this game and FPR are the best wrestling games ever

my top 5 favorite wrestling games

1.Fire Pro Wrestling Returns-PS2
2.Virtual Pro Wrestling 2-N64- i own the game and still play it
3.King Of Colosseum 2-PS2
4.WWF No Mercy-N64
5.All Star Pro Wrestling 3-PS2

@ Critical the last move done by the guy in your avy, that's the FPR version of the Widowmaker in SVR right? One of my originals has that move, looks freaking sick in FPR. What's the name of it?

@ Kobra, I have that English translation of Super Fire Pro X Premium (gotta love the long Japanese game names, lol). The GBA games though are closer to what you get in FPR, and even still FPR will give you sooooo much more. You'll really thanks yourself for getting this one, the creation options are unmatched and the gameplay is very engaging when you get accustomed to it.

[quote name='Thr33X' date='Oct 8 2007, 08:11 PM' post='2974795']
@ Critical the last move done by the guy in your avy, that's the FPR version of the Widowmaker in SVR right? One of my originals has that move, looks freaking sick in FPR. What's the name of it?

im so not sure i cant find out the move name because its in Japaneses

I'll know it when I see it once I have the game in my hands, lol.

Here's one guy opinion on why you should get FPR. username lemonlime2k on the Fireproclub forums of which I'm a member of, responding to a similar thread to this which asked "Why should I get FirePro?" (granted the guy who asked this was total noob anyway):

[quote]you should buy it because we said so.

don't like it? go to smackdowndownclub.com

or maybe Legendsofwrestling4club.com

OH WAIT OH WAIT

they don't have clubs...because all the fans took the clubs and beat themselves over the head everytime a mode was botched, a graphic glitched, or a move was removed or outright replaced for the sake of entertaining a tiny minority of the wrestling market that seems to enjoy ignorance over excellence when it comes to the overall presentation of the sport of kings renamed sports entertainment for the amusement of the fat cats sitting up in stamford with their legs crossed to hide where their balls got cut off just so they could make a buck and keep Mr. Mcmahon happy as he continues his virtual and literal quest of self fulfilling glory that will no doubt end much the way other empires have with the ruins collapsing at their feet and only the dust of fallen soldiers on the heel of their once proud boot to remind them of what was once great is now only a memory of the fallen tale of greatness!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats why.[/quote]

Extreme yes, but he makes a damn good point.

[quote name='Thr33X' post='2973098' date='Oct 8 2007, 05:23 PM']FPR is for most practical purposes a "puro-style" game. It represents how wrestling is portrayed pretty much everywhere else in the world aside from the US, and it's been that way since it came out all the way in 1989. See over in say Japan it's not uncommon to have matches that go for 30-60 minutes, and I'm not talking main event matches either. There's also no limitations to the creativity and often time the brutality of combat in the ring compared to here in NA. All those elements are conveyed in FPR as they were in the GBA games released over here, and if you're not into that it'll be hard to get into this game. I consider it to be "easy to learn but hard to master", and isn't that what gaming is all about-the challenge? I don't know, maybe I'm just too old fashioned, lol.

You need to play with an open mind as the system of gameplay is not difficult or impossible, it's different-that's all. Like learning a new computer program or skateboard trick or whatever you need to work at it to get good. Anyone who think their going to get this and rule mercilessly will be sorely disappointed and get their asses kicked more often than not. Nobody can convince you to get it, that's all on you. All I can say is that if you're of open mind and will to learned a new style of wrestling gameplay that actually requires some STRATEGY get this game. It's gonna be on the cheap anyway. Or...you can stick with the button mashing and analog stick play of SVR if that's your cup of tea.[/quote]

That pretty much sums it up right there.

I had the FPR game for the Gameboy Advance. I still do, but I can't play it anymore due to my GBA *censored*ing up on me. I loved the game. I loved playing it. I sometimes found myself playing it more than the console wrestling games. I plan on getting this one when it comes out. Maybe not on the exact date it comes out, but within a few months of it coming out maybe.

I think if they took more time on it they could upgrade the graphics to todays 'standards' for the consoles, but it doesn't bother me that they don't. I kind of like the whole 2D thing, seeing it in full 3D with the up to date graphics wouldn't be bad, but I think they game play could suffer then and I don't think any of us want that. Strategy is a key in the game, yeah, unless you play at like the lowest difficulty setting possible for matches, which you really shouldn't.

Thr33X pretty much summed it up though, so, I wont go on a repeat of what he said.

I repeat myself enough as is after all :P

Archived