Official Harry Potter thread!

The Ferg

I am currently re-reading all of the Harry Potter books in preperation for the last one. I started about a month ago, and I am currently quarter way through the 5th Book. I plan on finishing the book by Thursday, because I wanted to go see the new movie then with my brother, and possibly my dad, both fans of the book.

Yeah, I am waiting out 'til midnight for the book though.

I'm actually reading through all the books as well. As for the movies, I really think Order of the Phoenix could be the best one yet. The films have become increasingly good since the first, which is good.

I agree, although they don't compare at all to the books in my opinion.
What part of "Order" are you looking forward to most? I say watching everyone's patronus, and seeing how they are uniquely different. (or the whole movie!)

Love the books, went through the first 3 in 2 days a couple years ago, only got round to reading Half Blood Prince a month ago on recommendation and boy am I glad I did. Film should be great, I hate how poorly acted it is for the most part and that it has differences to the books (stuff condensed or not shown, people saying Voldemort in the first few films when only Voldemort, Dumbledore and Harry say that without flinching) but overall they're ok.

Won't say which part of the new film I'm looking forward to in case it spoils anything for those who never read the book but after seeing the making of on tv last saturday and watching the set built for that part, got me even more excited.

What scares me though about this film is how it'll be changed from the book.

I hope they don't consider changing what happened to Sirius at the end though.
I

I have and love reading all six books, I'm damn near wetting my pants for the last one. I don't care much if Harry dies as long as he dies in a good way, and people won't bitch for an otherwise good ending.

I've seen all four movies, and I hate how they made Hermione say that the fear of the name increases the fear of the wizard himself or whatever in Chambers of Secret when Dumbledore really said that in Sorcerer's Stone. -____-

[quote name='M3J- Khiladi' post='2249792' date='Jul 10 2007, 10:19 PM']Sorcerer's Stone.[/quote]

That's what really bugs me, I can't talk about the first book with Canadians/Americans without them saying "what the *censored* is Philosopher's Stone?" Apparently they changed the name to Sorcerer's because Americans don't know what philosophy is, I called bullshit the moment I read that, I mean if Monty Python can talk about that subject and still be as big in America as they are here why wouldn't people the other side of the pond know what it is?

Back to your point, films always change, I was disappointed the Quidditch World Cup stuff was cut short to the length it was rather than the chapter or so in the book, took away a little character interaction integral to the plot.

Do they know what Sorcerer's Stone is in America? O_o

But I dunno why American editors have to change things though, leave the original as it is. Whether the movie or the book, I'd rather see how JK Rowling wrote it, not edited version to help us understand it easier or to cut the time shorter.

The most Quidditch match I've seen was one, I think? They should put at least two, or at least two in Prisoner of Azkaban because it was kinda significant.
Hopefully they don't do the one match thing in fifth and sixth movie, one or two matches in those two parts are really vital and significant to the plot. In the fifth, it's very significant because it gives Harry more determination, and in sixth, it's a leeway for Harry to get together with a certain girl he started liking.

[quote name='Donjyoâ„¢' post='2249966' date='Jul 10 2007, 05:43 PM'][quote name='Kris' post='2248014' date='Jul 10 2007, 05:46 PM']I am currently re-reading all of the Harry Potter books in preperation for the last one.[/quote]

Im doing the same thing. Personally im looking more forward to the book than the film.
[/quote]
To be honest, so am I, since I know what'll happen in the movie. It's just the visual representation of the book, while the book tells us what happened.
At least in my view.

[quote name='Donjyoâ„¢' post='2249966' date='Jul 10 2007, 02:43 PM'][quote name='Kris' post='2248014' date='Jul 10 2007, 05:46 PM']I am currently re-reading all of the Harry Potter books in preperation for the last one.[/quote]

Im doing the same thing. Personally im looking more forward to the book than the film.
[/quote]

Yeah me too.

I wanna know what happens. :nerves:

But For Some reason I always see the movie the first day it comes out...

I'm looking forward to the book more than the movie, but both are big deals for me.

Can we stop talking about the disappointing things... Kinda... disappointing...
Man, if Harry dies, I'm killing myself... JK! But I would probably cry, I did when
[u]» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «[/u]
. (That shows you how much I'm obssessed...!)

What happened to Dumbledore was in my opinion a great thing. This in the next book will show us more about Harry and how he's matured, developed from the skinny teenager we knew and loved.

The films are disapointing compared to the books, which is understandable. I've heard the new film is slightly too long, but it still decent enough to get by.

I'm really hyped about the new book. Rowling really has left everything on a knifeedge.

[quote name='Herbitron5000' post='2256065' date='Jul 11 2007, 12:22 PM']The films are disapointing compared to the books, which is understandable. I've heard the new film is slightly too long, but it still decent enough to get by.

I'm really hyped about the new book. Rowling really has left everything on a knifeedge.[/quote]
I know, especially the fifth, I hate that movie.... It's not long enough though, they missed many crucial scenes and added in unnecessary ones.

Deathly Hallows is all I have to look forward to. What the hell was JK Rowling thinking, letting the books become movies? :shake:

Archived