Sigh - Clearing up the Caw Mode. *long but very worthwhile read*

So I see many of you are complaining about the new points system already, which you probably shouldn't do until you think about the system a little more carefully.

What I'm gonna do here is break down the mode and the enw system a little deeper so hopefully you will all understand a little about the pro's and negatives of this new system.

To begin, I'd like to state some of the features for those unfamiliar. Whilst I'm sure most of you are aware of the 48 point system, I'd like to explain a little about its design.

Essentially, with the new polygon count, and the additon of all new 3d parts, what once barely altered the polygon count is now modeled in 3d - elbow pads are a good example - will now raise the poly gon count of the caw significantly. Essentially, the points system is designed to limit the stress of the higher polygon counts on the consoles, which I believe are being technologically pushed this year with this redesign of the caw system. This means it is not possible for "GAnGSTEAR_XXX420" to create a caw with a chicken hat, a coat, 7 layers of jeff hardy armbands and the new kickpads, which in effect rapes and immobilises the games frame rate as it pushes the 360/ps3 beyond their capabilities.

But what the caw makers are fearing this year is that it is going to directly inhibit the possibilities of creating detailed caws this year. Whilst that may be true in simple theory, the reality is that it will be possible to create breathtakingly detailed caws this year with careful application of the create a logo mode.

The mode offers 2 different canvases for design, a low resolution and a high resolution canvas. High resolution logos are limited in that only [b]2 INDIVIDUAL LOGOS can be used on a caw, but they can be used INFINATELY[/b]. This is because these logos do not raise, or lower the total polygon count of the created characters. [b]Up to 20 Individual Low Resolution Logos can be applied infinitely to a character, without any points being expended[/b]. Unfortunately Low and Hi res cannot be used on a caw simultaneously.

The Positives to the CAL mode would be most concentrated with careful application of the Low Resolution mode. For this, explanation, I'll use a chris jericho caw as an example, lets for the sake of argument use his Extreme Rules Attire.

So, first of all you'll be deatiling facial features. I'll try to streamline this explanation as best I can. Unfortunately Much of the success in this mode is a result of the individual's skill in drawing. So whilst this will not be a problem for someone like me, it may cause issues for someone who is not naturally talented at drawing, but I'll explain the negatives more later.

So, lets use the create a logo to create facial detailing, for instance, around the eyes. What you can do here, is start on a canvas filled with a colour matching the caw's skin, from here the next step is using the pen tool or whatever to establish facial wrinkles in a particular area, so around the eyes. You would use a colour slightly darker than the character's skin tone.

Save the logo, and then open it in the caw mode and resize however you choose. Obviously you could create all the facial detailing in a single logo, but mapping this would be extremely difficult and would require alot of patience. you would follow this for other areas of facial detailing etc, all of which would expend NO layers.

To create Jericho's attire would be much easier, and would draw upon 3 individual logos for the trunks. Start again with a canvas matching jericho's trunks, and using the pen and fill tool, draw the fairly simple purple and silver design on the side of his trunks (which generally took about 8 layers last year). This can then be mirrored for the other side. Obviously, the individual's ability with the tool will inhibit or aid the effectiveness of this. From here, apply the same principle to the kite-like desgn on the front, and the "Save me" Heart logo on the back.

So, in principle, all of jericho's detailing can be completed in ZERO points, and the rest of these points can be used for hair, kickpads etc.

So, Lets talk about some negatives. This does unfortuantely render caws.ws almost completely redundant for detailed SVR 2010 caws, as it will be virtually impossible for individuals to emulate designs drawn by someone else, and instead means that the truly detailed caws will have to be downloaded online.

Further more, whilst it is fully possible to create DLC quality Caws using the logo creator, There wont be a teribly vast number of people who will be able to produce these designs effectively, however, this system seams right up my alley as I will be moving into graphic design within the next few years, so I will most likely upload a few of my creations online for you all to download, however Isn't the idea of this game that it should be easy for EVERYONE to create detailed caws? Obviously the caw mode will be much easier to use for the so called 'Mainstream Audience" ie - the people that make Monster Caws with gigantic Black Tatoos.

Well, thats all I have in mind at the moment, I'm probably missing something but I'll explain more later. All of this is based on proven facts from caw mode, but that of which people may not have percieved 100% correctly.

Also I am a long time lurker, first time poster, so Hello!

Good read. I like how the CAWs actually look like they could fit into the game this year. Of course there have been amazing looking CAWs in the previous few years, but they didn't really fit with the in game superstars. The points system MAY be a step back from the layers system, but I enjoy the look of the CAWs more.

[quote name='KRadiation' post='6532060' date='Aug 27 2009, 06:00 PM']If only they'd of had the foresight to allow us to share the hand drawn logos[/quote]

I'm not sure completely if this is or isn't possible but It would save a heck of alot of hassle if it was.

Also I Imagine you could delete the logos once you have them applied to a caw, I gather this because if you downloaded a caw the logos would not be able to be edited separately, which is why I hope you can download logos individually.

[quote]Create a logo mode will not save everything. The same thing was said last year about CAF, and it sucked.[/quote]

Fantastic Optimism.

I just found out there are line, and circle tools beyond the free hand selection. This is indeed very good news. The Points system should be much better than the layers of previous years because there is no wasting of additonal layers to create a logo. Much of the layers used last year were done when detailing with designs, which should be eliminated this year.

And if I'm not mistaking it still hasn't be confirmed that 48 is the final number on points for the release remember a lot of modes and features was locked on the version we say just to give us a taste

-Off Topic: I still wish they would have done my selection picture idea below↓↓

[font="Impact"][size=5]Chracter Selection Images::(FoxBoyStudios© Original)::[/size][/font]

Ok Guys I think That It's Safe To Say That Everyone Hates The Slelection Image For Your CAWS So I Made A Preview For A Feature I Think Would Be Great For Smackdown Vs Raw 2010 And That Issue Check It Out

And thanks to whomever done the edits I used for the examples I only know pherby did one off the top of my head but like I said thanks

Click Spoiler To See Idea

[url="javascript:;"]
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
[/url]
After You Create A Caw And Has Entered Al His/Her Information (Except For Name Which Will Have Name System) You Go To this Screen Im Gonna Use RVD As An Example (1)

1.[img]http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/FoxBoyStudios/1.jpg[/img]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
And The Default Image Shows Up And I Choose The Option Tab And You Go To Here (2)

2.[img]http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/FoxBoyStudios/2-1.jpg[/img]
And Theres Three Things,Selection Image,Name,Stats And I Click Selection Image And Go Here (3)

3.[img]http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/FoxBoyStudios/3.jpg[/img]
And There's Three More Options [size=2]Import[/size] (Import Stored Images Downloaded From XBL THQ.com Made By Other People) (THQ Made Comes With Game) Downloadable Content (DLC Selection Image Packs) And I Select Import And Go Here

4.[img]http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/FoxBoyStudios/4.jpg[/img]
And The Images Stored On My Hardrive Downloaded From XBL Appears And I Select RVD Of Course And Go Here

5.[img]http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/FoxBoyStudios/5.jpg[/img]
The Image Start To Import And Starts To Say Uploading (Flashing) And When Done Goes Here

6.[img]http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/FoxBoyStudios/6.jpg[/img]
Then The Image Appears On Screen And That Is Now You CAWS Selection Image And The Choose Next And Confirm Or Go On And Do Something Else Like The Name System I Will Explain Later

What Do You Guys Think

I kinda knew all this already, but still a good post. I think the points system is going to be much better than the layers of the last few years. Especially when you consider that it takes up zero points for any logos, t shirts and probably more. So like you say, we wont have to worry about making every layer as efficient as possible to get a certain design because 1 we can just make the design so no detail required and 2 logos take up no points so there is no worries.

Im kinda bummed out that you cant share logos, Im not much of a drawer with a pencil never mind with an analog stick so I was looking forward to pulling other peoples logos off the online to apply tattoos and whatnot. Hopefully all the original design and tattoo features are still in.

[quote name='Voice Of Jericho' post='6532131' date='Aug 27 2009, 06:20 AM']I just found out there are line, and circle tools beyond the free hand selection. This is indeed very good news. The Points system should be much better than the layers of previous years because there is no wasting of additonal layers to create a logo. Much of the layers used last year were done when detailing with designs, which should be eliminated this year.[/quote]

We're trading in 64 layers worth of detailing...for two logos...

I mean...there's more than two places on the face that needs detailing. And then what about attires? We use two logos on the face and we're done? None for attire? Hardly seems like a fair trade.

I really hope the extra 64 layers are included. And I'm about 95% sure they are.

Especially with that screenshot showing the "Edit Layers" option. And since THQ never mentioned layers, tells me that they didn't want us to know. Because PS3 still has 32. Point system was used as a diversion of sorts.

[quote name='TheOneCapone' post='6532206' date='Aug 27 2009, 06:39 PM'][quote name='Voice Of Jericho' post='6532131' date='Aug 27 2009, 06:20 AM']I just found out there are line, and circle tools beyond the free hand selection. This is indeed very good news. The Points system should be much better than the layers of previous years because there is no wasting of additonal layers to create a logo. Much of the layers used last year were done when detailing with designs, which should be eliminated this year.[/quote]

We're trading in 64 layers worth or detailing...for two logos...

I mean...there's more than two places on the face that needs detailing. And then what about attires? We use two logos on the face and we're done? None for attire? Hardly seems like a fair trade.

I really hope the extra 64 layers are included. And I'm about 95% sure they are.

Especially with that screenshot showing the "Edit Layers" option. And since THQ never mentioned layers, tells me that they didn't want us to know. Because PS3 still has 32. Point system was used as a diversion of sorts.
[/quote]

no, what I meant was you'd create all the facial deatiling in the logo mode as low resolution images, apply, resize etc., which expends no layers at all. The Message before the application of a logo says that 2 individual high resolution logos can be applied, and both of these can be applied infinitely. So in all likelyhood individual low resolution logos can be applied many more times.

[quote name='Voice Of Jericho' post='6532235' date='Aug 27 2009, 06:47 AM'][quote name='TheOneCapone' post='6532206' date='Aug 27 2009, 06:39 PM'][quote name='Voice Of Jericho' post='6532131' date='Aug 27 2009, 06:20 AM']I just found out there are line, and circle tools beyond the free hand selection. This is indeed very good news. The Points system should be much better than the layers of previous years because there is no wasting of additonal layers to create a logo. Much of the layers used last year were done when detailing with designs, which should be eliminated this year.[/quote]

[/quote]

no, what I meant was you'd create all the facial deatiling in the logo mode as low resolution images, apply, resize etc., which expends no layers at all. The Message before the application of a logo says that 2 individual high resolution logos can be applied, and both of these can be applied infinitely. So in all likelyhood individual low resolution logos can be applied many more times.
[/quote]

Possibly. Though, I'm still not sold on the CAW mode until we get some confirmation about layers. I just like having some insurance if the logo idea falls through for whatever reason. :P

[quote name='FoxBoyStudios©' post='6532180' date='Aug 27 2009, 10:31 AM']And if I'm not mistaking it still hasn't be confirmed that 48 is the final number on points for the release remember a lot of modes and features was locked on the version we say just to give us a taste

[font="Impact"][size=5]Chracter Selection Images::(FoxBoyStudios© Original)::[/size][/font]

Ok Guys I think That It's Safe To Say That Everyone Hates The Slelection Image For Your CAWS So I Made A Preview For A Feature I Think Would Be Great For Smackdown Vs Raw 2010 And That Issue Check It Out

[/url]
After You Create A Caw And Has Entered Al His/Her Information (Except For Name Which Will Have Name System) You Go To this Screen Im Gonna Use RVD As An Example (1)

And The Default Image Shows Up And I Choose The Option Tab And You Go To Here (2)

And Theres Three Things,Selection Image,Name,Stats And I Click Selection Image And Go Here (3)

And There's Three More Options [size=2]Import[/size] (Import Stored Images Downloaded From XBL THQ.com Made By Other People) [size=2] (THQ Made Comes With Game) Downloadable Content (DLC Selection Image Packs) And I Select Import And Go Here

And The Images Stored On My Hardrive Downloaded From XBL Appears And I Select RVD Of Course And Go Here

The Image Start To Import And Starts To Say Uploading (Flashing) And When Done Goes Here

Then The Image Appears On Screen And That Is Now You CAWS Selection Image And The Choose Next And Confirm Or Go On And Do Something Else Like The Name System I Will Explain Later

What Do You Guys Think
[/quote]

GIVE CREDIT FOR THOSE EDITS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!

On topic: Great first post, welcome to caws.ws. 8-)

[quote name='TheOneCapone' post='6532239' date='Aug 27 2009, 06:49 PM'][quote name='Voice Of Jericho' post='6532235' date='Aug 27 2009, 06:47 AM'][quote name='TheOneCapone' post='6532206' date='Aug 27 2009, 06:39 PM'][quote name='Voice Of Jericho' post='6532131' date='Aug 27 2009, 06:20 AM']I just found out there are line, and circle tools beyond the free hand selection. This is indeed very good news. The Points system should be much better than the layers of previous years because there is no wasting of additonal layers to create a logo. Much of the layers used last year were done when detailing with designs, which should be eliminated this year.[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Possibly. Though, I'm still not sold on the CAW mode until we get some confirmation about layers. I just like having some insurance if the logo idea falls through for whatever reason. :P
[/quote]

Tell me about it, but although this IS yukes, I'm still fairly confident in the idea that they wouldn't actually take the layers DOWN the year the game is sold as the Customisable edition. Although with that said It looks like the creator iself will be fantastic, its just the amount of individual logos that can be applied.

I just can't wait until I go to download "SW33T_BOI02's" AJ Styles caw and its actually just a fat poorly morphed caw covered in *censored* drawings.....

[quote name='MRN' post='6532242' date='Aug 27 2009, 02:50 AM'][quote name='FoxBoyStudios©' post='6532180' date='Aug 27 2009, 10:31 AM']And if I'm not mistaking it still hasn't be confirmed that 48 is the final number on points for the release remember a lot of modes and features was locked on the version we say just to give us a taste

[/url]

And There's Three More Options [size=2]Import[/size] (Import Stored Images Downloaded From XBL THQ.com Made By Other People) [size=2] (THQ Made Comes With Game) Downloadable Content (DLC Selection Image Packs) And I Select Import And Go Here

What Do You Guys Think
[/quote]

GIVE CREDIT FOR THOSE EDITS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!

On topic: Great first post, welcome to caws.ws. 8-)
[/quote]

I already did when i made a topic for it a while back

A good read and you are right indeed, but I hope that there are also layers, and if there are not, I hope that 'designs' still count as one layer, or no points.

I do understand it's for the polygon limit now (as I said, I may have overreacted, hah) but it would ruin the CAW mode if it was different.

The problem now is whether to spend layers on detailing the old way, or to actually map a whole face of detail.. That could be difficult.

[quote name='TheThreeD' post='6532370' date='Aug 27 2009, 11:50 AM']A good read and you are right indeed, but I hope that there are also layers, and if there are not, I hope that 'designs' still count as one layer, or no points.

I do understand it's for the polygon limit now (as I said, I may have overreacted, hah) but it would ruin the CAW mode if it was different.

The problem now is whether to spend layers on detailing the old way, or to actually map a whole face of detail.. That could be difficult.[/quote]
Well, mapping the whole face will be pretty much impossible, but I reckon that mapping certain areas such as the forehead would definitely cut down on layers needed.

Archived