Fuel = future Motorstorm killer

Generations

Codemasters has this crap on lockdown. Officially the best developer for racing titles. Prove what I say wrong. In case you don't know, Fuel is a game coming out this year that has a 14400 square kilometer open world race track that is affected by weather conditions such as tornadoes, blizzards, etc, which affect your driving in severe ways. It's the first racing game that allows you to go absolutely anywhere. There are zero boundaries. Early videos show the graphics looking a bit weak, but those are probably only preliminary visuals.

Watch this CGI trailer, and notice how the twisters actually force racers to leave the road and head into the desert...(amazing: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eIGRkSV4Uk&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eIGRkSV4Uk...feature=related[/url] (watch it in HD, by the way).

MotorStorm killer?

Nearly every racing game this generation is better than MotorStorm. Forza, Project Gotham, GRID, Midnight Club, every BurnOut game, Mario Kart, even Need For Speed (And I hate Need For Speed) has had a couple games better than the MotorStorm titles.

A racing game that lets you go anywhere? You mean it lets you go anywhere in the map they've created. And how would a race environment work if you can go anywhere? We're talking basically smugglers run on next gen?

[quote name='D.A.N.' post='5600749' date='Jan 17 2009, 02:24 AM']MotorStorm killer?

[b]Nearly every racing game this generation is better than MotorStorm[/b]. Forza, Project Gotham, GRID, Midnight Club, every BurnOut game, Mario Kart, even Need For Speed (And I hate Need For Speed) has had a couple games better than the MotorStorm titles.[/quote]

Well, yeah...I agree, but I mean from a similarity standpoint. This is a game where you race different types of vehicles on an over-exaggerated race track. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the first game since Motorstorm that lets you race motorcycles, trucks, buggies, etc. all against each other...also, while listing racing games, how could you leave DiRt and Pure off that list?

I'm not sure what Nygma's point is but 'you can go anywhere during a race' sounds like the hype machine to me. If I choose to 'go anywhere' I'll lose the race more likely than not. Just because they've made an 'area' without invisible barriers around the tracks, it doesn't mean it's going to make this suddenly a ground braking amazing game.

[quote name='KRadiation' post='5608009' date='Jan 18 2009, 10:13 PM']I'm not sure what Nygma's point is but 'you can go anywhere during a race' sounds like the hype machine to me. If I choose to 'go anywhere' I'll lose the race more likely than not. Just because they've made an 'area' without invisible barriers around the tracks, it doesn't mean it's going to make this suddenly a ground braking amazing game.[/quote]

My point was to click the video link on the words No Really >_>

[quote name='KRadiation' post='5608009' date='Jan 18 2009, 04:13 PM']I'm not sure what Nygma's point is but 'you can go anywhere during a race' sounds like the hype machine to me. If I choose to 'go anywhere' I'll lose the race more likely than not. Just because they've made an 'area' without invisible barriers around the tracks, it doesn't mean it's going to make this suddenly a ground braking amazing game.[/quote]

You fail to understand. "Go anywhere", means that when your path is blocked, you can go off the course. You're not literally supposed to drive anywhere just for the sake of doing it...that would make you a complete idiot. It's just saying that there are not boundaries. When you're in a race, you can take shortcuts, and drive anywhere that you think may help get you ahead. It's going anywhere (within reason).

[quote name='Generations' post='5609364' date='Jan 19 2009, 03:11 AM'][quote name='KRadiation' post='5608009' date='Jan 18 2009, 04:13 PM']I'm not sure what Nygma's point is but 'you can go anywhere during a race' sounds like the hype machine to me. If I choose to 'go anywhere' I'll lose the race more likely than not. Just because they've made an 'area' without invisible barriers around the tracks, it doesn't mean it's going to make this suddenly a ground braking amazing game.[/quote]

You fail to understand. "Go anywhere", means that when your path is blocked, you can go off the course. You're not literally supposed to drive anywhere just for the sake of doing it...that would make you a complete idiot. It's just saying that there are not boundaries. When you're in a race, you can take shortcuts, and drive anywhere that you think may help get you ahead. It's going anywhere (within reason).
[/quote]

I fail to understand 'go anywhere'? No I know exactly what it will translate to, like I said "they've made an 'area' without invisible barriers around the tracks". Maybe you failed to understand my post and my point. If you watch the video they don't hype 'you can literally take any short cut you want' because that doesn't sound that impressive. The words they choose to use to get that hype machine rolling are 'you can literally drive anywhere you want in the 14400 square kilometer open world race track. And like you say ' You're not literally supposed to drive anywhere just for the sake of doing it...that would make you a complete idiot' So why add that option?

We've had 'take shortcuts if your path is blocked' many many many times before so once again - Just because they've made an 'area' without invisible barriers around the tracks, it doesn't mean it's going to make this suddenly a ground braking amazing game.

^ What makes it a "ground breaking game" is the weather system. We're talking about spontaneously generated weather effects during races, which means no race is ever the same. The "go anywhere" thing just means that when the course changes due to the weather, you have to think quickly about where you need to go in order to avoid disaster. I don't really see why you seem to be bashing this game. No one ever said it was the best ever. It's not out yet, so that claim can't be made...all I said is that it's a Motorstorm killer (which it is, IMO)...because as D.A.N. said, Motorstorm isn't even one of the best racers ever. There are a large number of better racers out there...but based on what this game is set to deliver, it will be a similar concept to Motorstorm, but will be executed much better.

I'd probably say that "LOOKS FRAKKING EPIC!!!!!!!! " is up there with 'best ever' style comments. And I'm not bashing the 'game', as i've not played it yet. I just hate the hype crap like 'you can seriously go ANYWHERE you want'. Because it just gets people going 'whhooo amazing im going to drive everywhere' and then they find their isn't a point in going anywhere and we'll get a standard racing game and end up with threads saying 'fuel = epic fail' and 'i hate fuel, what a let down'

[quote name='Generations' post='5601658' date='Jan 17 2009, 10:56 AM'][quote name='D.A.N.' post='5600749' date='Jan 17 2009, 02:24 AM']MotorStorm killer?

[b]Nearly every racing game this generation is better than MotorStorm[/b]. Forza, Project Gotham, GRID, Midnight Club, every BurnOut game, Mario Kart, even Need For Speed (And I hate Need For Speed) has had a couple games better than the MotorStorm titles.[/quote]

Well, yeah...I agree, but I mean from a similarity standpoint. This is a game where you race different types of vehicles on an over-exaggerated race track. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the first game since Motorstorm that lets you race motorcycles, trucks, buggies, etc. all against each other...also, while listing racing games, how could you leave DiRt and Pure off that list?
[/quote]
I got tired of naming. Dirt was good and I love Pure.

Archived