MS has no plans for Blu Ray 360

Generations

Source: Kotaku.com

[quote]Blu-ray won the format war. One HD game console (the PS3) already uses the format. The other one (the Xbox 360) doesn't. Microsoft says it plans to keep it that way.

We've heard this before. Microsoft isn't going Blu-ray. Still, Robbie Bach, president of Microsoft's Entertainment & Devices Division, lays out three years why the company isn't keen on the format:

[i]"It’s not a feature we get a ton of requests for. We really don’t. When you ask people the list of things they want to see us spending time creating in Xbox, Blu-ray is way, way down on the list.

The second thing is, from a technical perspective, it doesn’t help us in the core of what Xbox does, which is in gaming. We can’t have publishers produce games on Blu-ray disc. Because then they won’t play on the 28 million Xboxes we’ve already shipped. So it doesn’t help us in the core gaming space.

The third thing, and this maps to all three of those, is that it costs a lot of money. And so the scenario is, OK, let me get this straight: I’m going to add something to the product that’s going to raise the cost, which means the price goes up, consumers aren’t asking for it, and by the way, my game developers can’t use it."[/i][/quote]

I agree entirely. It would be a great idea for the next console (so larger games can be developed), but the 360 definitely doesn't need it. The only scenario in which I could see this being useful is if they somehow make discs that are Blu Ray on one side, and standard on the other. That way, they could release a Blu Ray version of the 360, and develop games that play on both the old version and new ones. Still a huge waste of time, though.

[quote name='αV Echelon' post='5568545' date='Jan 10 2009, 11:50 AM']Blu Ray = Overrated.

Seriously, I played a movie on a HD TV with a Blu Ray player and I don't get whats so great..[/quote]

This. I see a difference, but it is not worth the price difference between a DVD player and a Blu Ray player.

[quote name='αV Echelon' post='5568545' date='Jan 10 2009, 02:50 PM']Blu Ray = Overrated.

Seriously, I played a movie on a HD TV with a Blu Ray player and I don't get whats so great..[/quote]

I disagree. There is a HUGE difference. I don't know what movie you played, but you either had the player set up wrong (not set to the highest capabilities), or perhaps the tv wasn't fullHD. I really don't know...but there is a rather large and impressive difference between Blu Ray and DVD when it comes to movies. (Not so much when it comes to games)...but movies = huge difference.

I love Blu Ray and my X-Box owning friends wish they could play BDs on there consoles but they can't. The point about not needing it for gaming, correct me if I'm wrong but then what was the purpose of the HD-DVD drive? I didn't see any HD-DVD format games come out, did you?

[quote name='The Martyn' post='5569451' date='Jan 10 2009, 05:11 PM']I love Blu Ray and my X-Box owning friends wish they could play BDs on there consoles but they can't. The point about not needing it for gaming, correct me if I'm wrong but then what was the purpose of the HD-DVD drive? I didn't see any HD-DVD format games come out, did you?[/quote]To play HD-DVD movies...

lolXbots.

[quote name='D.A.N.' post='5564014' date='Jan 9 2009, 05:03 PM']Their explanation is surprisingly perfect. Blu-Ray is a double edged sword right now. It won't become the standard media for years. I don't think it has any place in gaming right now.[/quote]

This is true..

[quote name='αV Echelon' post='5570648' date='Jan 10 2009, 06:01 PM'][quote name='The Martyn' post='5569451' date='Jan 10 2009, 05:11 PM']I love Blu Ray and my X-Box owning friends wish they could play BDs on there consoles but they can't. The point about not needing it for gaming, correct me if I'm wrong but then what was the purpose of the HD-DVD drive? I didn't see any HD-DVD format games come out, did you?[/quote]To play HD-DVD movies...
[/quote]

Which they stopped making like a year ago.

Blu-Ray isn't useless, but it's not as big of a deal as people make it right now. The difference isn't something you'll catch visually unless you've got a good HDTV on your hands, and HDTVs aren't the standard yet, which is why Blu-Ray isn't big yet. The memory and sound quality of Blu-Ray is certainly off the charts, but it's not something so revolutionary and essential that everyone needs it yet.

[quote name='Generations' post='5570812' date='Jan 11 2009, 02:39 AM']^ Exactly That was a separate add-on (it wasn't built into the system), and it was only to play HDDVDs, which were later discontinued.[/quote]

My point was they said they wouldn't do Blu Ray because it wouldn't benefit gaming, yet they did the HD-DVD add-on which wasn't for games. I remember it being built into early Elite consoles, though I can't be sure as that was three years ago.

^ I don't think it was ever built into anything...it was just a separate piece you could buy for $150 or something, and plug into your 360. MS is saying that building Blu Ray components into the new batch of 360's would be pointless...and it would. Just as it would have been pointless to build an HDDVD player into the console (which is why they didn't do it).

[quote name='Jαysus C.' post='5579154' date='Jan 12 2009, 06:16 PM']I only wish HD DVD was the movie format out there right now. Technically, HD DVD format disks could hold up to 51GB and Blu-Ray disks up to 50GB. So HD DVDs were indeed the better way to go...

Ah well. I still agree with every point that was made.[/quote]

The largest HD DVDs that made it to market were the 30gb dual-layers. Dual-layer BluRay discs hold 50gb. So you're wrong.

[quote name='Ol'DirtyChupa' post='5579207' date='Jan 12 2009, 05:41 PM'][quote name='Jαysus C.' post='5579154' date='Jan 12 2009, 06:16 PM']I only wish HD DVD was the movie format out there right now. Technically, HD DVD format disks could hold up to 51GB and Blu-Ray disks up to 50GB. So HD DVDs were indeed the better way to go...

Ah well. I still agree with every point that was made.[/quote]

The largest HD DVDs that made it to market were the 30gb dual-layers. Dual-layer BluRay discs hold 50gb. So you're wrong.
[/quote]

Lol, my college revision guide told me 51 >_>

Archived